1939 – 1969 Major-General H.H. Edward Frederick William David Walugembe Mutebi Luwangula Mutesa II, Kabaka of Buganda, KBE (c 1.1.1962). b. at the home of Sir Albert Cook, Makindye, Kampala, 19th November 1924, fifth and eldest legitimate son of Captain H.H. Kabaka Sir Daudi Chwa II, Kabaka of Buganda, KCMG, KBE, by his wife, Abakyala Irene Drusilla Namaganda, Namasole, educ. King’s Coll, Budo, Makerere Univ, Kampala, and Magdalene Coll, Cambridge. Proclaimed on the death of his father, 22nd November 1939. Installed outside the Lubiri, at Mengo, 26th November 1939. Reigned under a Council of Regency until he came of age and assumed full ruling powers. Crowned at Budo 19th November 1942. Attended the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey in London 1953. Exiled to London 30th November 1953, but was restored and permitted to return to Buganda 19th October 1955. Installed as Presdt. and C-in-C of Uganda, at Government House, Entebbe, 9th October 1963. The Palace at Mengo was attacked by Ugandan troops loyal to Obote and the Kabaka was forced to flee into exile, 24th May 1966. Went into exile in London. Deposed in absentia on the abolition of the Kingdoms by the Obote government 8th September 1967. Hon Capt Grenadier Guards 26/6/1947, prom Hon Lieut-Col 20/12/1963, Maj-Gen Uganda Army 9/10/1963. Author of “Desecration of my Kingdom” (1967). Sovereign of the Order of the Shield and Spears. Rcvd: Queen Elizabeth II Coron (1953), and Ugandan Independence (1963) medals, GC of the Orders of the Phoenix of Greece, and the Queen of Sheba of Ethiopia (17.6.1964), and the Order of the Brilliant Star of Zanzibar 1st class. m. (first) at St Paul’s Cathedral, Namirembe, 19th November 1948, H.H. Abakyala Damali Catherine Nnakawombe, the Namasole (b. 1929; d. at Nakasero Hospital, Kampala, 12th July 2010), educ. Budo Junior Sch and King’s Coll, Budo, Sherborne, Dorset, and Mon Fertile, Switzerland, styled Naabagareka from19th November 1948 and Namasole since 21st November 1969, rcvd: Coron Medal (1953), elder daughter of The Hon Christopher M. Ssekkuma Kisosonkole, of the Kima clan, sometime Secretary of the Lukkiko, by his wife, Victoria Sarah Nalwanga, daughter of Hamu Rwamujonjoza Mukasa, Ssekibobo of Kyaggwe. m.(i) Edith Kasozi. m. (ii) 1950, Princess (Omubitokati) Beatrice Kabasweka, daughter of Rukirabasaija Daudi Kasagama Ikingura Kyebambe VI, 4th Omukama of Toro, MBE. m. (iii)1950, Kate Ndagire. m. (iv) Magdalene Lubuga Buwomyaki. m. (v)1954, Abakyala Sarah Nalule, Omuzaana Kabejja (b. 1930; d. at London, 1974), younger sister of the Namasole, and daughter of The Hon Christopher M. Ssekkuma Kisosonkole, of the Kima clan, by his wife, Victoria Sarah Nalwanga, daughter of Hamu Rwamujonjoza Mukasa, Ssekibobo of Kyaggwe. m.(vi) 1956, Eriosi Muza’ana Nalwoga (d. before 1966), of the Mmamba clan. m. (vii) Nesta M. Rugumayo, from Toro. m. (viii) Muza’ana Lukanyamagulu, of the Mpeewo clan. m. (ix) Princess Kaakako Rwanchwende, daughter of Prince Rwanchwende, of Mbirizi, Masaka, in Ankole. m. (x) Princess Winifred Keyihangwe, of Ankole, imprisoned by Obote and realsed only shortly before going into labour. m. (xi) Katherine Karungu, a niece H.H. Nyakusinga Rubambansi Sir Charles Godfrey Rutahaba Gasyonga II, Mugabe of Ankole. m. (xii) Kate Kamulegeya, of the Nkima clan. m. (xiii) Eseza Bummenya. m. (xiv) Kagodo. He d. in exile at Orchard House, Lower Road, Rotherhithe, London, 21st November 1969 (bur. in the Muzibu-Azaala-Mpanga, Kasubi-Nabulagala, 4th April 1971), having had issue, ten sons and six daughters:
1) Prince (Kiweewa) Robert Masamba Kimera. b. at Kampala, 1950 (s/o Nesta M. Rugumayo), educ. St Mary’s Coll, Kisubi, King’s Coll, Budo, and in Canada. Geologist with the Swaziland Dept of Geology 1980-1983, Lecturer at Nakawa Vocational Sch 1991-1992. Settled in Canada 1993. He had issue, one daughter by a Swazi lady.
3) Prince (Omulangira) Suuna Frederick Wampaba (s/o Edith Kasozi). Cmsnd as 2nd-Lieut Uganda Army. He was k. on the orders of Idi Amin, at Bondo, 1972 (bur. Kasubi-Nabulagala).
4) Prince (Omulangira) Henry Katabaazi Kalemera. b. at Kampala, 1955 (s/o Damali Nnakawombe), educ. King’s Coll Budo Junior Sch, Kabinja, Duke of York (Lenana) Sch, Nairobi, Kenya, Uganda Technical Coll, Kyambogo Hill, Kampala, Ethiopian Airlines Aviation Sch, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (CAA A&P lic), Lenny Coll (FAA A&P lic) and the Sierra Acad Sch of Aeronautics (FE lic.), Oakland, and Aviation Training at Hayward (PP lics.), California, USA. Aircraft Maintenance Technician (AMT) Engineer with American Airlines. Settled in the USA. m. Everlyn Florence Nalukwago Naku, daughter of Steven Josha Ssenoga Magambo, by his wife, Deborah Namusoke. He has issue, one son and two daughters:
a) Prince (Omulangira) Kimera Luwangula Kamaanya Kayondo. b. at Vallejo, California, USA, March 2006.
a) Princess (Omumbejja) Lwantale Nakawombe Namukaabya [Tale Kalemera]. b. at Vallejo, California, USA, 8th October 1992.
b) Princess (Omumbejja) Nkinzi Muggale Nakamaanya b. May 1987, educ. Jesse Bethel High Sch., Vallejo, California, USA.
5) Prince (Omulangira) Daudi Ssimbwa Kazibwe Golooba. b. at Kampala, 4th April 1955 (s/o Magdalene Buwomyaki), educ. King’s Coll, Budo, and Makerere Univ, Kampala (BA Hons 1976). Accountant. Chair and Founder Mbr Buganda Heritage Assoc (UK & IRE) 1998. m. Marion Nagawa Lubogo, educ. Makerere Univ., Kampala (BA 1980), daughter of The Hon David Livingstone Kunya Lubogo, sometime Presdt of the Court of Appeal and Deputy Chief Justice of Uganda, by his wife, Sarah. He had issue, three sons and four daughters:
a) Prince (Omulangira) Farooque Sekamanya, educ. Makerere Univ. Librarian, Bursar at Kabojja Primary Sch. m. Hadija Bisirikirwe, educ. Makerere Univ. (B.A. Educ.), teacher at the Kabojja Secondary Sch. He has issue, two sons:
i) Prince (Omulangira) Nasser Kakungulu.
ii) Prince (Omulangira) Lukanga Kajumba.
b)Prince (Omulangira) Daudi Chwa Tebandeke Mbogo. b. at Brent, Mdsx., June 1984, educ. Univ of Reading, Berks.
c) Prince (Omulangira) Ssuuna Kisakye Mukabya. b. at Brent, Mdsx., March 1997, educ. Pinner Park Middle Sch, Harrow, Mdsx.
a) Princess (Omumbejja) Nakayenga Ndagire, educ. Makerere Univ., Kampala (B. Econ.). Employed with Centenary Bank. m. Godfrey Kyagulanyi, Surveyor for the Uganda Electricity Brd. She has issue, two daughters.
b) Princess (Omumbejja) Zalwango Kamuwanda. m. Edward Bakojja, Lecturer in Mathematics at Kyambogo Univ and Mengo Secondary Sch. She has issue, one son and one daughter.
c) Princess (Omumbejja) Nabaloga Nagawa Tebatagwabwe, educ. St. Dominic’s Coll, Harrow-on-the-Hill, Mdsx.
d) Princess (Omumbejja) Sandra Natume. b. at Newham, London, November 1999.
6) Prince (Omulangira) George Michael Ndawula. b. at Kampala, 1956 (s/o Muzaana Nalwoga), educ. King’s Coll, Budo. m. several wives, and has several children.
1) Princess (Omumbejja) Dorothy Kabonesa Namukaabya, Nassolo. b. at the Twekobe Palace, Mengo, 1951 (d/o Damali Nnakawombe), educ. Gayaza Junior Sch, St Mary’s Sch, Calne, Wilts, and Nairobi Univ (BA), Kenya. Lubuga wa Ssekabaka Kyabaggu at Kyebando. Joined Uganda Civil Service, attaché Ugandan Embassy in Washington DC, Under Sec Health Service Cmsn. m. and had issue, three children.
2) Princess (Omumbejja) Dina Kigga Mukarukidi. b. at the Lubiri, at Mengo (d/o Beatrice Kabasweka). Naalinya wa Ssekabaka Winyi at Kibulala. Employed with the African Union in Addis Ababa. m. (div.) Robert Ikobo, sometime Permanent Sec of a govt dept during the Amin regime.
3) Princess (Omumbejja) Anne Sarah Kagere Nandawula. b. at the Twekobe Palace, Mengo, 1951 (d/o Kate Ndagire), educ. Whispers Sch, Essex, and Nairobi Univ (BA), Kenya. Nnalinya wa Ssekabaka Kintu. Sometime civil servant and entrepenuer. MD Bayanja Men’s Salon 1989, and now of a chain of mens’ hairdressing salons. Chair (Culture & Heritage) Buganda Kingdom Development Strategy Cttee 2000-2010. Dir Naabagareka’s Development Fndn. m. Oweek Vincent Bbaale Mugera, Katikkiro, Patron Express Football Club (Chair until 1997), etc. She had issue, three children.
4) Princess (Omumbejja) Christine Agnes Nabaloga [Dr Agnes Nabaloga] (d/o Kate Ndagire), educ. Kenya High Sch (KHS), Boma, Kenya, and Univ of Copenhagen (Ph.D,), Denmark. Lubuga wa Ssekabaka Mutebi II. Linguist in Dept of Language & Culture at Univ of Roskilde, Consultant in the Sustainable Development Unit (Middle East & North Africa) at the World Bank in Washington DC since 2009. Patron Buganda Heritage Assoc. (Denmark) 1998. m. Dr Peter Koefoed Bjørnsen (b. 1957), Deputy Dir DMU, Snr Adviser US Global Environment Facility (GEF) 2005-2009, Dir UNEP-DHI Centre in Washington DC since 2009, younger son of Lieutenant-Colonel Bjørn Bjørnsen, by his second wife, Professor Mette Margrethe Koefoed Bjørnsen, sometime Presdt Conciliation Institutions and Chair Danish Writer’s Assoc, daughter of Hans Georg Koefoed, sometime civil engineer of Lyngby, Denmark. She had issue, two children.
5) Princess (Omumbejja) Alice Mpologoma Kasozi Zalwango. b. 1961 (d/o Edith Kasozi), educ. Gayaza Junior & Secondary Schs, Kibuli High Sch, and Makerere Univ, Kampala. Nnalinya wa Ssekabaka Mwanga II. m. … She d. from breast cancer, at the East Pretoria Hospital, South Africa, 23rd March 2005 (bur. Kasubi Royal Tombs), having had issue, four children.
6) Princess (Omumbejja) Diana Balizza Muggale Teyeggala. b. at Kampala, October 1966 (d/o Katherine Karungu), educ. Namasagali Coll, Kamuli, Mukono, Nabisunsa Girls’ Sch, Kampala, and Makerere Univ (BA 1997). Naalinya. m. (sep.) Robert Kannuma, sometime Passport Control Officer in the Uganda Dept of Immigration. She has issue.